This is a healthy spin on LBJ's family chili recipe that we debuted at Smithsonian Food History weekend with much success. Instead of beef, I used turkey (shredded or ground works) and some zucchini/beans for the vegg. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
- 4 lb. turkey meat (ground or pulled)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped to bite size pieces
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned whole tomatoes and their liquid
- 2-6 generous dashes of liquid hot sauce
Sauté the meat, onion, zucchini and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until lightly colored. Add the oregano, beans, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, hot sauce, and 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for about 1 hour. Skim off the fat while cooking. Salt to taste.