IT'S BACK... the best kuchen everrrrrr
I have posted some delicious food so far but this recipe takes the cake:). My Oma (grandmother in German) was the queen of making delicious cakes though, like me, she was not a huge fan of baking. No matter her personal disdain for flour, eggs, and ovens, she worked hard to produce a product that keep her little devil grandchild’s belly full (quite a task). Of all her cakes this is my favorite and I have made it several times since she has passed. It is very Euro.. not super sweet like a lot of American desserts but rich and decadent nonetheless. If you have got some time and don’t mind being at frustration station give it a try.
*note: you will need a spring-form cake pan!
- 300g (2/3 lb.) all-purpose flour
- 150g (1/3 lb.) sugar
- 150g (1/3 lb.) unsalted butter, COLD
- pinch of salt
- 3 large granny smith apples
- 1 kids pack raisins, soaked overnight in rum
- 1 1/2 lemon, zest and juice
- a palmful of sugar
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- whipped cream for serving
- pre-heat oven to 180 C (360 F).
- start the dough by creating making a well of flour and adding the egg to the middle.
- then add the cold butter, sliced on top.
- combine and knead the dough until you can make a ball.
- wrap and put into the fridge for 30 min. Cover with parchment paper or a clean dish towel while waiting
- during this time make the filling... start by peeling and thinly slicing the apples. This can be done on a mandolin or by hand
- put in a mixing bowl with the lemon zest and juice.. as well as the sugar.
- add the raisins
- when the dough is ready roll it out and press a thin layer to the bottom of the cake pan (about 1/3 of the dough)...
- then continue to use another 1/3 of the dough to construct the sides of the cake. Make sure there is no gap between the bottom and sides (otherwise the filling will ooze out)!
- Pour the filling into the pan..
- Use remaining dough to make the top.. make sure there are no gaps between the top and sides.
- Brush the egg yolk over the top.
- Sprinkle some coarse sugar on top
- It will take about an hour to bake but starting checking after 50 min and remove when golden. Let it cool and serve with cream.
- YOU ARE AT THE END!! WOOP! Bon Appetit!